UK: +44 (0) 203 397 7731 EGYPT: +2 16254

Students Visa

Each year, thousands of international students successfully gain a visa to study in the United Kingdom. The UK government welcomes international students, and there is no limit on the number of student visas that can be issued.

UK immigration and visas are managed by the UK government’s Home Office. Please check the UK Visas and Immigration website for more information.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

This depends on your nationality and immigration status. Find out if you need a visa to study in the UK here:

When should I apply for a visa?

It is important to prepare and apply well before you intend to begin your course. Many students do not realise how long the process will take, and do not leave enough time.

Your application may require you to:

  • have certain vaccinations or – if you are coming from a tuberculosis high-risk area – a chest x-ray;
  • produce documents showing your finances and qualifications;
  • attend an interview or a biometric test;
  • take an English language test.

You can apply for a visa up to three months before the start of your course, but it’s a good idea to do your research and plan what you need to do before that, if you can.

You should get a decision on your visa within three weeks. Check the UK Visas and Immigration guide to processing times to find out how long it might take to get a visa in your country.

What kind of visa do I need?

The following two visas are suitable for students who want to do a short course, or an 11-month English language course:

  • Child visitor visa: You can apply if you are 17 years old or under, and you want to study in the UK for up to six months.
  • Student visitor visa: You can apply if you are 18 years old or over, and you want to study in the UK for up to six months. If you want to join an English language course, you can apply for an extended student visitor visa to stay for up to 11 months.

The following two visas allow you to do a longer course in the UK:

  • Tier 4 (Child) student visa: You can apply if you are between 4 and 17 years old. If you are between 4 and 15 years old, you must be coming to the UK to be educated at an independent, fee-paying school.

English language tests

Some students applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa may need to take an English language test as part of their application. On 22 May 2014, the UK Home Office issued new guidance on secure English language test (SELT) providers. We encourage you to check the full text and FAQ here.

Where can I study with a UK visa?

The UK government aims to ensure that all universities, colleges, schools and language centres teaching international students are responsible institutions.

To be eligible for a UK study visa, you need to join a school, college or university that is approved by the UK government. Follow the links below to see which schools, colleges and universities you can join:

PLEASE NOTE: Before you travel to the UK, please check the following UK Visas and Immigration guidance for news about changes to Tier 4 sponsor licences:

Can I bring my family with me?

Some international students on a study visa can bring their dependants with them to the UK. Please see Bringing your family.

Can I work in the UK on a study visa?

Please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for more information, or see our article Working alongside your studies for a brief overview.

Can I work in the UK after I graduate?

Students: Find out about working alongside your studies.

Graduates: Find out more about UK work visas for graduates.

Find out more

You can find out more about UK study visas on the UK Visas and Immigration website.